Monday, June 13, 2016

Review // Bigeloil Quilted Poultice Wraps & Hoof Pads

I took a hiatus for a while, had many things arise. Paired with a busy summer, a new work schedule, it was not the best time to write. As fall came through, and the temperature was finally dropping, I would have started to blog; but I thought I was going to lose my horse.

One day, I will blog on the entire story, but long story short; I get a call that my mare will not move in her stall. I get to the barn and she is actively laminitic. My life was spent at the barn, icing & poulticing. Keeping her legs cool. Why, OH WHY, did not know about these then!


Last month I had the pleasure of testing out Bigeloil Quilted Poultice Wraps by Absorbine. The package of eight (8) leg wraps retail for $27.99, although with some bargain shopping- I've seen them as low as $19.87 at State Line Tack. The package of four (4) hoof pads retails for $6.99, but Smartpak carries them for $5.95.

Traditional poultice is sticky and just a plain mess. These wraps take the mess completely out of the equation. And lets talk about EASY! Fill a small bucket of water (hot or cold), soak the wraps for 20 seconds, wrap around your horses leg, secure with a standing wrap. Done. No clay everywhere, no ruining barn aisles (ask me how I know this!). No messy hands, and ruined breeches and nice, clean standing bandages. In the morning? Just unwrap your horse, and take off the quilted wrap, with no residue left behind.

These wraps contain Kaolin clay and epsom salt in each of the pockets, which are evenly distributed throughout the wrap. They are perfect for post-workouts, after a show, stocked up legs, or any reason you would use "traditional" poultice.

With my horse battling laminitis, I used traditional poultice to keep every part of her body below the knee cold. I've spent cold nights, filled with ice cold hands of poultice. I've ruined breeches by wiping poultice on them. I've washed my wraps way too much. The poultice got nasty with dirt and shavings on the inside, and gave me worries that I didn't close container the entire way.

Now, my horse is great and back to almost regular work. I use these leg wraps whenever we have a tougher school, and I use the hoof pads quite often when I feel that she just had a strenuous week. I'm happy that I only have to use these for maintenance, but I would have absolutely turned to these in times of treatment. 

These are perfect to keep in the trailer, in your tack room at shows, or just in your tack trunk for times of need. No worry about the poultice drying up, you need very little water to activate, and you can go about your business without being covered in clay!

The only downside could be the cost, as they are a bit more costly than a tub of poultice per use. But regardless, I would recommend having these stashed in your box for a time of need- they will come in handy when your poultice tub is cracked or you just got a manicure for a wedding.


.the inside turn.


FTC: I am an Absorbine Product Ambassador. I was sent these products to test out, not in relation to The Inside Turn Blog. I was not paid to do a review on this product. I genuinely can't get enough of these. As an ambassador, I do not have to write on my blog, but I decided to due to how much I adore them. 


3 comments:

  1. Yikes that's horrifying about your mare! What a relief that she recovered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was a nightmare! A result of an unknown infection that spread a bit throughout the barn. No rotation, and she can begin jumping again soon! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. I always eyeball these in the store, but there's something I love so much about slathering poultice on and washing it off. I'm weird.

    ReplyDelete